Sailor's Life at Sea & A Little Poetry
- Students learn about sailors' everyday life around 1900 by analyzing a poem and recruiting poster.
- Students interpret poems and poster art as historical evidence.
- Read background sheet, poem, and poster.
- Discuss question sheet in groups or complete answers individually.
- Classroom discussion to follow.
- Students use the historical poem as a model to compose their
These poems may be e-mailed to the Museum.
- Student Introduction Page,
- "The Rookie's Prayer,"
- Recruiting Poster,
- and Question sheet for each student or group
For Students: Copies of
For Teachers: Teacher answer sheet
These materials may be reproduced.