Return to Navy Travels Undersea
- Aquanaut- A scuba diver who lives and operates both inside and outside an underwater shelter for an extended period.
- Bathyscaphe - A guided submersible ship for deep-sea exploration having a spherical watertight cabin attached to its underside.
- Bathysphere - A strong steel diving sphere for deep-sea observation.
- Dive - To submerge.
- Hull - The frame or body of a ship.
- Hydrogen bomb - A bomb whose violent explosive power is caused by the sudden release of atomic energy.
- Luminous- Emitting light or glowing.
- Oceanography - A science that studies the oceans, including the determination of their depth, the physics and chemistry of their waters, marine biology, and the exploitation of their resources.
- Propulsion - The action or process of driving forward or onward.
- Sphere - A globe or ball.
- Submersible - a vessel capable of descending under water.
- Surface Ship - ship that operates above the water.
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution-A private, nonprofit research organization divided into five science departments: Applied Ocean Physics and Engineering; Biology; Geology and Geophysics; Marine Chemistry; Geochemistry and Physical Oceanography.