The following is a list of records/collections that are held by the Naval Aviation History Office/Branch and have been scanned and made available on line.
1. Current/Active Aviation Squadron History/Command Operations Reports
2. Ault Report (led to establishment of TOPGUN):
3. Naval Aeronautical Organization Publications:
- Fiscal Year 1923 through Fiscal Year 1952
- Fiscal Year 1953 through Fiscal Year 1968
- Fiscal Year 1969 through 1977
- 1978 through 1985
- 1986 through 1998
4. Vietnam Records:
- Listing of Navy and Marine Corps Aircraft Losses in Vietnam
- Port Visits for Carriers Deployed to Vietnam, 1964-1975
5. Bureau of Aeronautics Newsletters:
- The Bureau of Aeronautics Newsletters and CNO Aviation Weekly Report/Newsletter are the forerunners to the Naval Aviation News magazine. These reports/newsletters begin in 1917 and run through 1942. The Bureau of Aeronautics Newsletter was renamed Naval Aviation News in 1943. The reports/newsletters for 1917 through 1942 have been scanned in Adobe Acrobat 5.0 and placed on CD-ROM. The documents have not been posted on the web site because of the difficulty in OCRing the old paper records and old typewriter fonts.
- The CD-ROM newsletters may be ordered from the Naval Aviation History Branch. The collection consists of six CD-ROMs and the cost for each CD-ROM is $10.00. Checks or money orders must be made payable to the "Department of the Treasury". Send your order to:
Naval History and Heritage Command
Attn: Naval Aviation History
805 Kidder Breese Street, S.E.
Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374-5060.
- The six CDs are as follows:
AVH CD-0429 Bureau of Aeronautics (CNO Weekly) Newsletters 1917-1922 ($10.00)
AVH CD-0430 Bureau of Aeronautics Newsletters 1923-1932 ($10.00)
AVH CD-0431 Bureau of Aeronautics Newsletters 1933-1936 ($10.00)
AVH CD-0432 Bureau of Aeronautics Newsletters 1937-1938 ($10.00)
AVH CD-0433 Bureau of Aeronautics Newsletters 1939-1940 ($10.00)
AVH CD-0434 Bureau of Aeronautics Newsletters 1941-1942 ($10.00)
6. World War II Data
7. Allowances and Location of Navy Aircraft (OPNAV NOTICE 03110)
- 1946 through August 1956 Allowances and Location of Navy Aircraft are available only on CD-ROM. These documents could not be scanned and OCRed (made word searchable) due to the poor quality of the type fonts, ink and current capability of OCR software. The CD-ROM may be purchased from the Naval Aviation History Branch, Naval History and Heritage Command. Please reference "AVH CD-0011" to order these records. The cost for the CD-ROM is $10.00 and checks must be made payable to the "Department of the Treasury".
- September 1956 through December 1964 Allowances and Location of Navy Aircraft
- 1965 through 1968 Allowances and Location of Navy Aircraft
- 1969 through 1980 Allowances and Location of Navy Aircraft
- 1981 through 1988 Allowances and Location of Navy Aircraft
- Publication of the Allowances and Location of Navy Aircraft was discontinued in 1988.
8. Aircraft History Card by Bureau (Serial) Number