The naval archives will operate under restricted access due to the ongoing remediation efforts in storage facilities and naval history holdings. Access to and support from the naval archives will remain limited to official government inquiries only.
The Histories Branch is responsible for researching and writing naval history from the American Revolution through the present.
The Ships History section collects and maintains information on U.S. Navy ships; provides reference assistance to the Navy and the public; researches and writes ship histories and maintains the the multi-volume Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (DANFS), available online.
The Naval Aviation History section, was established in January 1942 and deals with subject matter on Naval Aviation from its beginnings in 1911 to the present time. It provides research assistance, maintains record collections and publishes articles, monographs and books on Naval Aviation.
Naval History and Heritage Command
805 Kidder Breese Street, SE.
Washington Navy Yard
Washington, D.C. 20374-5060
Monday through Friday: 0900 - 1600 (9 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
Closed: Weekends and Federal Holidays
Phone: (202) 433-9677, DSN 288-9677
Reference assistance policy:
Extensive personal research requests are beyond the scope of the office. The general public should submit their requests in writing. Processing time for reference requests is 4 to 8 weeks.
Due to staff limitations, the office only responds to:
Official government phone and email requests:
SHIPS: SHIPHISTORY@NAVY.MIL COM 202-433-9677; DSN 94-433-9677
AVIATION: AVIATIONHISTORY@NAVY.MIL COM 202-433-9675; DSN 94-433-9675
ALL OTHERS: ARCHIVES@NAVY.MIL COM 202-433-3224; DSN 94-433-3224
- Publications and General Information
- Research Materials Available
- Frequently Asked Questions
Officers of the Continental and U.S. Navy and Marine Corps,
Naval Aviation Topics and Information
- Naval Aviation Publications Posted on our Web Site
- Naval Aviation Research and Collections
- Instructions and Guidelines
- Naval Aviation Squadron Lineage and Active Squadron Insignia
- Aircraft Carriers
- Naval Aviation's Involvement by Conflict
- Records and Special Collections and other Repositories
- Origins and General Information on Naval Aviation History Office
- Navy Aviation Squadron Lineage & Naval Aviation Command Insignia
- Sources of Aircraft Drawings
- Fee Schedule for Record and Microfilm Duplication
- U.S. Naval Aircraft Markings
- insignia sources, including sources for purchasing aviation patches
- Squadron Lineages (also available as a .pdf file)
- Flight 19 Packet (The Lost Patrol)
- General Information and Branch History
- Document Collections
- Deck Log Section-Ships History Branch
- What to do if your ship is going to be Decommissioned
- Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
- U.S. Navy Active Ship Force Levels
- List of former naval ships, preserved as museums, belonging to Historic Naval Ships Association
- List of ships present at Pearl Harbor, 0800 7 December 1941
- List of ships present during Surrender Ceremony in Tokyo Bay, 2 September 1945
- U.S. Navy Ships: Sunk and Damaged in Wars
- Bibliography on Ships