Naval Aviation History
Until further notice, the NHHC Archives are closed to researchers, and are limited in responding to official reference requests. This includes all Archives sections (Operational, Aviation, Ships, Deck Logs, and Photographic). As a result of sequestration, these closures are necessary to balance ongoing preservation and conservation efforts with information service management.
A major archival storage facility renovation is currently underway to improve environmental controls for 12,000 cubic feet of paper, microform, and digital media in buildings 44 and 108. An extensive mold remediation project will take place at the same time. Together, these projects will ensure that the collections we hold are better protected, and will greatly improve access to these valuable records in the future.
We regret any inconvenience these closures may cause, and appreciate your patience and understanding.
The Naval Aviation History Office was established in January 1942. The office deals with subject matter on Naval Aviation from its beginnings in 1911 to the present time. It provides research assistance, maintains record collections and publishes articles, monographs and books on Naval Aviation.
Naval Aviation Topics and Information
- Naval Aviation Publications Posted on our Web Site
- Naval Aviation Research and Collections
- Instructions and Guidelines
- Naval Aviation Squadron Lineage and Active Squadron Insignia
- Aircraft Carriers
- Naval Aviation's Involvement by Conflict
- Records and Special Collections and other Repositories
- How to Obtain a Record
- Origins and General Information on Naval Aviation History Office
- Navy Aviation Squadron Lineage & Naval Aviation Command Insignia
- Sources of Aircraft Drawings
- Fee Schedule for Record and Microfilm Duplication
- U.S. Naval Aircraft Markings
- insignia sources, including sources for purchasing aviation patches
- Squadron Lineages (also available as a .pdf file)
- Flight 19 Packet (The Lost Patrol)