D-Day, Normandy: D+1 THROUGH D+3
Fatigue marks the faces of those who finally find a few moments of relief at this first rise in the terrain above Omaha Beach.
On Omaha Beach, D-Day Plus Two, the American Army occupies a German gun casemate and puts it to merciful use as an emergency dressing station and operating room.
Floating pierheads, under the command of Seabee officers, are towed to France to form beachhead causeways. Floating on reinforced concrete pontoons, these "Roadways to the Beach," code-named Mulberries, are another example of the imaginative use of material by the invasion fleet.
The attack forces constructed their own harbors, piers, and breakwaters by towing cargo ships and Mulberry units across the channel at three to four knots and then sinking them to form the breakwaters and piers for the landing forces. These were constructed at the Portsmouth Shipyard in April 1944. Some are visible to this very day in the waters off the Normandy coast.
One of the great concrete sections of Mulberry breakwater floats at a fitting-out basin. The hull is hollow and compartmented concrete with valves for flooding one in place in France.
An LST discharges its cargo onto a floating pierhead that was built in the Mulberry series of piers and breakwaters. (Mulberry 'A' was the American series and Mulberry 'B' the British).
Towed at slow speeds 100 miles across the English Channel, a section of the great Mulberry breakwater is worked into line by Army tugs. Sunk in place off Omaha Beach, much of the Mulberry project was seriously damaged in the unprecedented summer storm of 19-22 June 1944.