Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Tamaqua

 

A borough in Schuylkill County, Pa., founded in 1799 and named for a Delaware Indian chief.

 

(YTB-797:  dp. 356  (f.); 1. 109'; b. 31';  dr. 14';  s. 12k.; cpl. 12; cl. Natick)

 

Tamaqua (YTB-797) was laid down on 16 January 1968 at Marinette, Wis., by the Marinette Marine Corp., and launched on 14 August 1968. Placed in service in November of the same year, Tamaqua was assigned to the Pacific Fleet and has served in the western Pacific into October 1979.