Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Penacook

 

A confederacy of Algonquian tribes along the Merrimac River in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.

 

II

 

(YT–279: dp. 415 (1.); l. 110’; b. 27’; dr. 11’4”; s. 12 k.; a. 2 .50 cal. mg.; cl. Cahto)

 

The second Penacook (YT–279) was laid down 20 April 1943 by Luders Marine Construction Co., Inc., Stamford, Conn.; launched 5 June 1944; and completed and delivered to the Navy 26 September 1944.

 

Penacook was reclassified YTB–279 on 15 May 1944. During World War II, she served as yard tug for the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, 4th Naval District. She continued to serve the 4th Naval District, and was sold in 1961.