A river in New Mexico. A Spanish word for doves.
(IX-91: dp. 312; l. 161’; b. 30’1”; s. 10 k.)
Palomas (IX-91) was built as schooner Good Will by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Del. in 1922; acquired by the Navy by requisition purchase from Keith Spalding, Newport, Calif. 12 September 1942; placed in service 2 October 1942; and re-named Palomas 5 October 1942.
Operating out of San Diego, Palomas steamed along the southern California coast in a training capacity. A unit of the Western Sea Frontier, Palomas protected the southern California area guarding Allied and friendly shipping, and operated in a patrol capacity. She was assigned as a unit of ServRon 2 on 19 October 1943 and continued west coast operations with this unit until war’s end.
After the cessation of hostilities, Palomas reported to San Francisco for disposal 1 June 1946. She was placed out of service 10 August 1946, struck from the Navy List 25 September 1946, and transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal 3 March 1947.