Any palm of the genus Thrinax or Coccothrinax.
(WAGL–265: dp. 170; l. 90’; b. 22’; dr. 4’; s. 7 k.; cpl. 12)
Palmetto was built at Jacksonville, Fla. in 1916 as a tender for the Lighthouse Service. Upon commissioning she immediately assumed tender duties out of her permanent station at Charleston, S.C. She continued to operate out of Charleston until 1939, when the Lighthouse Service became part of the Coast Guard.
She remained in an active status as a Coast Guard buoy tender until 1 November 1941, when Executive Order 8929 transferred the Coast Guard to the Navy. Palmetto continued naval service as a buoy tender stationed at Charleston until 1 January 1946, when she returned to the Treasury Department. Thereafter she functioned as a harbor and coastal buoy tender, servicing the nagivational aids in the Charleston area. She decommissioned 23 May 1958 and was sold 13 April 1959 at Charleston.