One who charts the course for a ship or plane; an explorer. The first Navigator retained her former name, the second was named for the term.
(SP–2225: dp. 470; l. 139’; b. 26’; dr. 13’9”; s. 12 k; a. 2 6–pdrs.)
Navigator (SP–2225), built by J. H. Dialogue and Sons, Camden, New Jersey, in 1898, was acquired by the Navy 20 August 1918. Placed in service in the 12th Naval District, headquartered at San Francisco, she served the San Francisco Bay area throughout her naval career. Designated YT–39, 17 July 1920, and YTB–39, 15 May 1944, she performed the vital tug, salvage, and fire fighting missions of her type until she was placed out of service at Mare Island, 14 October 1946. Struck from the Navy List 30 December 1946, Navigator was transferred to the Maritime Commission for further disposal 8 August 1947.