Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Nausett

 

A misspelling, common until the 1870’s, of Nauset, an inlet on the east coast of Cape Cod. The misspelling was perpetuated with the naming of later ships for the first Nausett.

 

IV

 

(ACM–15: dp. 910; 1. 189’; b. 37’; dr. 12’; s. 12 k.; cpl. 135; cl. ACM–11)

 

Originally built as a mine planter for the U.S. Army, auxiliary mine layer ACM–15 was transferred to the custody of the Navy in March 1951. Never commissioned, ACM–15 was first berthed at Charleston as a unit of the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Later moved to Green Cove Springs, Florida, she remained in reserve until struck from the Navy List, 1 July 1960. During that time she was redesignated MMA–15, 7 February 19.55, and named Nausett, 1 May 1955. After being struck, Nausett was stripped and sold, 17 May 1961, to Caribbean Enterprises, Inc., Miami, Florida.