A city in southwest Mississippi.
(SlpW: t. 200; lbp. 127’; b. 33’6”; dr. 16’6”; cpl. 190; a. 18 guns.)
The first Natchez, a sloop-of-war built by Norfolk Navy Yard in 1827, commanded by Comdr. George Budd, departed If Hampton Roads 26 July 1827 for the Caribbean. She patrolled the West Indies as a deterrent against a resurgence of piracy until forced to sail north by an outbreak of yellow fever among the crew, arriving New York 24 November 1828.
The sloop, Comdr. William B. Shubrick in command, got underway for the Caribbean 9 July 1829 and operated in the West Indies and along the Atlantic Coast until she decommissioned at Norfolk 24 August 1831 and was placed in ordinary. Reactivated during the South Carolina nullification crisis, Natchez recommissioned 28 December and sailed for Charleston 2 January 1833, anchoring in Rebellion Roads on the 19th. She moved up to Charleston Battery 12 March and remained in that important Southern port until tensions were eased when Congress lowered the tariff. She sailed for Hampton Roads 4 April and, upon arriving Norfolk, was again placed in ordinary.
Natchez returned to the West Indies in 1836 and operated there into 1838. She again cruised in the Caribbean in 1839. She was scrapped at the New York Navy Yard in 1840.
Originally acquired from the Coast and Geodetic Survey, Oceanographer was renamed Natchez and classified (PG–85) 15 April 1942. Upon reconversion to a survey ship, Natchez (PG–85) was renamed Oceanographer (q.v.) and classified 15 April 1942. Upon reconversion to a survey ship, Natchez (PG–85) was renamed Oceanographer (q.v.) and classified (AGS–3) on 28 May 1942.