An island off the coast of Massachusetts.
(AG–142: dp. 602 (light); l. 154’; b. 36’; dr. 6’; s. 10 k.; cpl. 29)
Nashawena, a cable ship built in 1944 by the Seattle Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Corp., Seattle, Washington, was operated by the US Army as Col. Wm. A. Glassford until transferred to the US Navy 20 June 1947; and commissioned as Nashawena (AG–142) the same day, Lt. William K. Bickenbach in command.
Nashawena soon commenced cable laying and tending services in the 12th and 14th Naval Districts for the US Naval Electronics Laboratory. Reclassified YAG–35, 9 September 1947, she continued to provide communications maintenance until decommissioned at Marc Island, her homeport 17 August 1953. She was then turned over to the Naval Station, Treasure Island, California, where she operated briefly with the status “in service” before entering the Pacific Reserve Fleet at the end of the year. Nashawena was sold to Anthony Zahardis, 1 June 1960, towed from Treasure Island, 3 July, and subsequently struck from the Naval Register.