Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

N–5

 

(SS–57: dp. 340 (surf.), 415 (subm.); l. 155’; b. 14’6”; dr. 12’4”; s. 13 k. (surf.), 11 k. (subm.); cpl. 29; a. 4 18” tt.; cl. N–4)

 

N–5 (SS–57) a coast and harbor defense submarine, was laid down 10 April 1915 by Lake Torpedo Boat Co., Bridgeport, Conn.; launched 22 March 1917; sponsored by Mrs. George Bevans; and commissioned at New York Navy Yard 13 June 1918, Lt. Comdr. Morris D. Gilmore in command.

 

Sailing from New York 20 June to New London for fitting out and thence proceeding to Newport to load torpedoes, N–5 began patrols off New England and in Long Island Sound on watch against attacks on coastal shipping by German submarines. On 7 September, after parting tow from her escort in a heavy sea, she was mistaken by an armed transport for a German U-Boat and was fired upon. Fortunately for the submarine, all 15 shells fell short and N–5 was able to proceed on to New London. She continued her patrols until 24 October when she put into New York Navy Yard for repairs, and remained there following the Armistice until sailing to Philadelphia 21 February 1919.

 

Overhauled, the submarine departed Philadelphia 27 March, arriving New London 10 April. Remaining in ordinary at the Submarine Base until 10 March 1920, the submarine then operated off the east coast in training until placed in reserve at New London 7 June. On 1 October, N–5 sailed to Philadelphia Navy Yard for extensive overhaul lasting until 7 April 1921 when she returned to New London, once again being placed in ordinary. There she remained for the next year, while her main engines were removed for transfer to a newer L-class submarine. Then, towed by tug Lykens (AT–56), she moved to Philadelphia Navy Yard, arriving 14 April 1922. N–5 decommissioned 19 April 1922 and was sold to Joseph C. Hitner of Philadelphia for scrap, 25 September 1922.