A town on the upper peninsula of Michigan along the southern shore of Lake Superior.
(PC‑1228: dp. 280; l. 1781'8"; b. 23'; dr. 10'10"; s. 20 k.; cpl. 65; a. 1 8", 1 40mm., 5 20mm., 2 rkt., 4 dcp., 2 dct; cl. PC‑461)
PC‑1228 was laid down by Leathem D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wis., 7 September 1942; launched 18 November 1942; sponsored by Mrs. C. R. Christianson; transferred down the Mississippi River to New Orleans, arriving there 19 May 1943; and commissioned 21 May 1948, Lt. J. M. Jordan in command.
After shakedown along the gulf coast, PC‑1228 underwent ASW training out of Miami during June, thence she reported to the Eastern Sea Frontier for duty 28 June. During the next several months she conducted antisubmarine partols and escorted ships along the Atlantic and gulf coasts. On 26 November she was ordered to steam to the Canal Zone where she arrived Coco Solo 5 December. Operating under the commander, Panama Sea Frontier, she patrolled coastal waters of the Canal Zone and maintained a watch for enemy submarines. She continued this important duty during the remainder of World War II.
Following the defeat of the Axis Powers, PC‑1228 returned to the United States. She reported for duty with the 16th Fleet 24 May 1946 and decommissioned at Green Cove Springs, Fla., 19 July 1946. While berthed with the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, she was named Munising 15 February 1956. She was authorized for disposal 22 July 1957, and her name was struck from the Navy list 5 September 1957. On 1 July 1958 Munising was sold for scrapping to Boston Metals Co., Baltimore, Md.