Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Munaires

 

A former name retained.

 

(ScStr: dp. 10,400 (n.); l. 385'; b. 53'; dr. 24'; s. 10.5 k. (f.); cpl. 86; a. 1 6", 1 3")

 

Munaires, a cargo ship completed by the Newport News Shipbuilding Co., Newport News, Va., for the Munson Steamship Lines 5 January 1918, was turned over to the USSB 10 January 1918; acquired by the Navy 14 January 1918; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. F. A. Gaimard, USNRF, in command.

 

Assign to NOTS, Munaires departed New York 27 January in convoy for Europe, arriving Bordeaux, France, 17 February to discharge her cargo of Army supplies. Clearing Gironde, France, 24 April, she returned to the east coast, arriving New York 7 May. Munaires made four roundtrip runs to French ports with army materials before ending at New York 20 December. By 7 January 1919 she was underway for South America with a stopover at Hampton Roads, Va., to load coal. Arriving at La Plata, Argentina, 12 February, the ship unloaded her cargo and steamed for home, reaching New York 4 April. On 6 January 1919 Munaires decommissioned and was delivered to the USSB for return to her owner 25 April 1919.