A tree, of the genus morus, which bears an edible, usually dark purple, berrylike fruit
(AN‑27: dp. 805; l. 163'2"; b. 30'6"; dr. 11'8"; a. 12.5 k.; cpl. 48; a. 1 3", 3 20mm., 1 Y‑gun; cl. Aloe)
Mulberry (AN‑27) originally designated YN‑22, was laid down 18 October 1940 by the American Shipbuilding Co., Cleveland, Ohio; launched 26 March 1941; sponsored by Mrs. W. H. Gerhauser; placed in service at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in the 10th Naval District; commissioned 19 December 1942, Lt. W. T. Holly in command; and was reclassified AN‑27, effective 20 January 1944.
Following redesignation, Mulberry departed Guantanamo Bay and sailed to Adak, Alaska. Operating from Adak and Kodiak, she engaged in net tending, carried cargo, and transported military personnel in Alaskan an Aleutian waters for the next 3 years. She arrived San Francisco 12 March 1947 for an overhaul, after which she proceeded to Tiburon, Calif., for training exercises. Assigned to Hawaiian duty, she engaged in harbor operations at Pearl Harbor from 7 June to January 1948. She resumed operations off the west coast for the next 2 years, departing Bremerton, Wash., 8 July 1950 for duty in Japan. For the next 5 years she engaged in net tending at Sasebo and Yokosuka Harbors. Between 29 May and 1 August 1953, she operated in the Korean ports of Pusan, Cheju Do, Ulsan, Wonsan, and Chinhae, aiding U.N. forces meeting the challenge of Communist aggression,
Mulberry arrived Long Beach, Calif., 23 December 1955, and continued operations from that port for the next 5 years. She decommissioned 11 April 1960, and was placed in the Pacific Reserve Fleet, berthed at San Diego. The Mulberry was transferred on loan to Ecuador in November 1965 under the Military Assistance Program where she serves as Orion (H‑101) into 1969.
Mulberry received one battle star for Korean service.