Capt. John Mugford commanded schooner Franklin in the Continental Navy, serving through 1775 in Manley’s squadron off Boston. He captured British ship Hope with a large cargo of military stores and powder, and took his prize into Boston, running under the noses of the British fleet lying in the outer harbor. Franklin was attacked at night, however, by a greatly superior force; Captain Mugford was killed in the action.
(DD‑105: dp. 1,060; l. 314'5"; b. 31'9"; dr. 8'6"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 113; a. 4 4", 1 1‑pdr., 12 21" tt.; cl. Wickes)
The first Mugford (DD‑105) was laid down 20 December 1917 by Union Iron Works Co., San Francisco, Calif.; launched 14 April 1918; sponsored by Mrs. George H. Fort; and commissioned 25 November 1918, Lt Comdr. John H. Everson in command.
Mugford joined the fleet for winter maneuvers off Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in January 1919, then sailed north for operations along the coast between New York and Massachusetts until 21 November, when she left Newport for San Diego, arriving 22 December. Here she became tender to a seaplane division, and during the pioneering days of naval aviation cruised with her charges on maneuvers along the California coast, visiting the Canal Zone in December 1920 and January 1921. She decommissioned at San Diego 7 June 1922, and was sold for scrapping to Schiavone‑Bonomo Corp., New York City in 1936.