A large ruminant animal of the deer family, found in Canada and the northern United States.
(IX‑124: dp. 14,245; l. 441'6"; b. 57'; dr. 27'9"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 105; a. 1 5", 1 3", 8 20mm.; T. 2‑ETI‑S‑C3; cl. Armadillo)
The second Moose (IX‑124), originally named Mason L. Weems, was renamed Moose 27 October 1943; laid down 1 November 1943 by Delta Shipbuilding CO., New Orleans, La.; launched 17 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Douglas E. Schultheiss; acquired by the Navy on a bareboat charter from the War Shipping Administration 27 January 1944; and commissioned 28 January 1944, Lt. Gerald E. Spencer in command.
After shakedown, Moose departed Balboa, C.Z., 15 March 1944 for the South Pacific. Upon arrival New Caledonia in November, she reported to commander, Southern Pacific, for duty as a mobile floating oil storage ship. From May to August 1945 Moose served as a fuel supply ship supporting the effort to end the war against Japan, calling at Ulithi, the Palaus, Leyte Gulf, Okinawa, and Kerama Retto, discharging her 1 millionth barrel of fuel at Buckner Bay, Okinawa, 21 August.
With the end of the war in the Pacific, Moose reported to the Atlantic Fleet at Norfolk 4 February 1946. She decommissioned there 19 April 1946, was returned to the WSA 27 April 1946, and stricken from the Navy list 8 May 1946. She entered the National Reserve Defense Fleet as Mason L. Weems. In 1948 she was sold to Tramp Shipping & Oil Transportation Corp. for service as Yankee Pioneer. Resold to Weyerhaeuser Steamship Co. in 1951, the ship was renamed Y. L. McCormick.