Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060



The first Lynx isnamed for any of a group of wildcats found throughout the Northern Hemisphere, most commonly known as the bobcat or wildcat; the second Lynx (SP‑2), is a former name is retained; and the third Lynx (AK‑100), was named for a northern constellation between Auriga and Ursa Major.




(AK‑100; dp. 14,250 (f.); l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 28'4"; s. 12.5 k.; cpl. 238; a. 1 5", 1 3", 8 20mm.; cl. Crater; T. EC2‑S‑C1)


The third Lynx (AK‑100) was laid down as Juan Bautista de Anza under a Maritime Commission contract by California Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Calif., 26 April 1943; launched 18 May 1943; sponsored by Mrs. E. E. McCarty; renamed Lynx 27 May 1943; and commissioned 26 July 1943, Comdr. Leander Jeffrey in command.


Assigned to the Naval Transportation Service, Lynx loaded cargo at San Francisco and departed for the western Pacific 28 August. During the next 15 months she carried cargo out of San Francisco to American bases in the Pacific. Over this period she completed five round‑trip cargo runs which sent her to New Zealand, Australia, New Guinea, the New Hebrides, the Admiralties, and the Hawaiian Islands.


Departing San Francisco 3 December 1944, Lynx sailed to Pearl Harbor where she arrived the 12th to load four PT boats. On 11 January 1945 she sailed for the Philippines; and, steaming via the Admiralties and New Guinea, she reached Leyte Gulf 5 February. During the next 2 months she operated between Guiuan, Samar, and Tacloban, Leyte; then she sailed for Okinawa 8 April.


As American forces fought for control of that strategic island, which lay at the doorstep of Japan, Lynx steamed in convoy via Ulithi and arrived off Okinawa 26 April. Despite intermittent air attacks by the Japanese, she completed unloading cargo 4 May and sailed for Ulithi. Arriving there the 9th, she refueled, then sailed for the west coast 12 May. She reached San Francisco 4 June.


After overhaul, Lynx loaded cargo and sailed for the Marshall Islands 2 July. She arrived Eniwetok 2 August, operated among the atolls during the next 3 weeks, then departed Kwajalein for San Francisco the 24th. She arrived 11 September; and, following overhaul, she decommissioned at Suisun Bay, Calif., 1 November 1945.


Transferred to WSA the same day, she was struck from the Naval Register 16 November 1945.


Lynx received one battle star for World War II service.