In Latin, moon or satellite.
(AKS‑7: dp. 7,176; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 28'4"; s. 12.5 k.; cpl. 214; a. 1 5", 1 3", 8 20mm., 2 .30 cal.; T. EC2-S‑Cl)
Luna (AKS‑7) was laid down as Harriet Hosmer under Maritime Commission contract by J. A. Jones Construction Co., Panama City, Fla., 23 April 1943; launched 30 September 1943; acquired by the Navy 2 November 1943; converted by Tampa Shipbuilding Co., Tampa, Fla.; renamed Luna 13 November 1943; and commissioned February 1944, Lt. Comdr. James A. F. Knowlton in command.
Luna departed Norfolk 19 March 1944, passed through the Panama Canal, and arrived Pearl Harbor 15 April. After being assigned to ServRon 10, she sailed for her first issue area 19 April, and arrived Majuro Atoll, Marshall Islands, 27 April to service units of the 5th Fleet. After a short voyage to Kwajalein, she proceeded to Eniwetok 3 June, and returned Pearl Harbor 3 July. She then steamed to Oakland, Calif., the 6th to reload at the Naval Supply Depot; this was to be her only return to the United States until after the war.
From 1944 to 1946, the ship continued servicing the 3d and 5th Fleets in the South Pacific. While at Ulithi, Caroline Islands, 24 October 1945, she assisted Virburnum (AN‑57) who had struck a mine. After successfully completing seven issuing voyages and servicing 1,121 different ships, Luna was ordered to Tokyo Bay 25 September 1945 to load for the final voyage home. She arrived San Francisco 28 December, and returned to Pearl Harbor, where she decommissioned 20 April 1946. She was then towed back to San Francisco and delivered to the Maritime Commission 21 May 1947.