LST-1080 was laid down on 5 April 1945 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 2 May 1945; and commissioned on 29 May 1945.
Following World War II, LST-1080 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. She was decommissioned on 29 August 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. The ship was re-commissioned on 3 October 1950 and operated extensively during the Korean War. She was redesignated Fender County (LST-1080) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 after a county in North Carolina. Decommissioned for the last time on 2 January 1958, Fender County was transferred to the Republic of Korea Navy in October 1958 where she served as Hwa San (LST-816). The tank landing ship was struck from the Navy list on 6 February 1959.
LST-1080 earned four battle stars for Korean War service.