LST-1066 was laid down on 18 January 1945 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 21 February 1945; sponsored by Miss Cynthia L. Rowan; and commissioned on 20 March 1945, Lt. E. J. Gilman in command.
Following World War II, LST-1066 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. She was decommissioned in March 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. The ship was redesignated New London County (LST-1066) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 after a county in southeastern Connecticut. She was recommissioned on 21 December 1965 and performed service in the Far East. Decommissioned again on 27 February 1967, New London County was transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service. She was later sold to Chile where she serves as Commandante Hemerdinger (LST-88).
LST-1066 earned two battle stars for Vietnam service.