Communities in California, Colorado, New Jersey, New York, and Ohio are named Lakewood.
(AK-236: dp. 4.480 (lt.) ; l. 455'3"; b. 62'; dr. 29'2"; s. 15.5 k.; cpl. 99; a. 1 5", 1 3", 8 20mm.; cl. Boulder Victory; T. VC2-S-AP2)
Lakewood Victory (AK-236) was laid down 16 September 1944 by Permanente Metals Corp., Richmond, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; launched 17 November; sponsored by Mrs. Edward A. Fitzgerald; and commissioned 11 December, Lt. Comdr. Eric H. Petrelius in command.
After shakedown, Lakewood Victory departed San Francisco 18 January 1945 loaded with a cargo of ammunition, booms, and aircraft. Steaming via Pearl Harbor and Eniwetok, she reached the Marianas in convoy 19 February and supplied combat ships with shells and powder. Departing Saipan the 26th, she headed for Iwo Jima with TG 50.8. While the battle for Iwo Jima raged, she arrived the 28th and began supplying cruisers, destroyers, and landing craft with ammunition. She continued discharging her cargo until 8 March; then she sailed for the western Carolines, arriving Ulithi the 11th.
On 3 April Lakewood Victory cleared Ulithi for logistics support operations off Okinawa. After reaching Kerama Retto 13 April, she supplied waiting destroyers, LSTs, and smaller landing craft with explosive cargo. Despite frequent air raid warnings, her crew worked under cover of protective smoke to transfer ammunition before sailing 23 April for Ulithi, where she arrived the 28th.
Lakewood Victory sailed 20 May for the New Hebrides. Steaming via Manus, Admiralties, she reached Espiritu Santo 28 May; loaded ammunition and fog oil; and departed 19 June for Leyte. She arrived San Pedro Bay the 28th and operated off Leyte for more than 2 months. After the Japanese surrender, she returned to the United States via the Marianas and Pearl Harbor, arriving Puget Sound, Wash., 8 October.
After unloading her cargo, she sailed for the western Pacific 18 November. From 6 December to 2 March 1946 she loaded ammunition at Guam and Saipan. Returning to San Francisco 15 March, Lakewood Victory decommissioned 16 May and was turned over to WSA.
Lakewood Victory received two battle stars for World War II service.