Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

L-5

 

(SS-44: dp. 456 (surf.), 524 (subm.); l. 165'; b. 14'9"; dr. 13'3"; s. 14 k. (surf.), 10.5 k. (subm.); cpl. 28; a. 1 3", 4 18" tt.; cl. L-5)

 

L-5 (SS-44) was laid down 14 May 1914 by Lake Torpedo Boat Co., Bridgeport, Conn.; launched 1 May 1916; sponsored by Mrs. Rosalind Robinson; and commissioned 17 February 1918, Lt. J. M. Deem in command.

 

After exercises along the Atlantic coast, L-5 departed Charleston, S.C., 15 October 1918 with Submarine Division 6 and reached the Azores 7 November. Following the Armistice 11 November, L-5 headed west arriving Bermuda 1 December. She participated in exercises in the Caribbean before steaming on to San Pedro, Calif., where she arrived 13 February 1919.

 

From 1919 to 1922, she remained on the west coast experimenting with new torpedoes and underseas detection equipment. L-5 departed San Pedro 25 July 1922; and, after visits in Mexico, Nicaragua, and the Canal Zone, she arrived Hampton Roads, Va., 28 September. The submarine remained there until she decommissioned 5 December 1922. She was sold 21 December 1925 to Passaic Salvage & Reclamation Co., Newark, N.J., and scrapped.