Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Ebert

 

Hilan Ebert born 21 March 1903 in Alliance, Ohio, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1926 and served in various billets afloat and ashore until assigned to Northampton (CL-26) 29 April 1942. Lieutenant Commander Ebert was killed 30 November 1942 when his ship was torpedoed in the Battle of Tassafaronga off Guadalcanal. He was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross for his courage and disregard for his own safety beyond the call of duty until his ship was lost.

 

__________

 

The name Ebert was assigned to DE-74 which was transferred under lend lease to the United Kingdom 13 October 1943 before commissioning. After service as HMS Bentley, she was returned to the United States after the war and sold 20 June 1947.

 

I

 

(DE-768: dp. 1,240; 1. 306'; b. 36'8"; dr. 8'9"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" tt., 8 dcp., 1 dcp.(hh.), 2 dct.; cl. Cannon)

 

Ebert (DE-768) was launched 11 May 1944 by Tampa Shipbuilding Co., Inc., Tampa, Fla.; sponsored by Mrs. Hilan Ebert, widow of Lieutenant Commander Ebert; and commissioned 12 July 1944, Lieutenant Commander F. Gibbs, USNR, in command.

 

Ebert guarded the passage of convoys carrying men and supplies vital to victory in Europe, to ports in Britain and France, between 6 October 1944 and 14 May 1945, then returned to New York to prepare for duty in the Pacific. She sailed on 8 June for Pearl Harbor, Eniwetok, and the Philippines. She escorted convoys carrying occupation troops to Japan, until 30 November when she left Manila for the States. Ebert was placed out of commission in reserve at Green Cove Springs, Fla., 14 June 1946. Towed to Boston in November 1950, Ebert was transferred to Greece 1 March 1951 under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program. She serves in the Greek navy as Ierax.