(SwStr: t. 508; l. 120'3"; b. 28'; dph. 11')
Anglo-Saxon, built in New York City in 1848 and owned by the Southern Steamship Company, was one of 14 steamers seized in January 1862 by Maj. Gen. M. Lovell, CSA, under orders of the War Department. While participating in the defense of Forts Jackson and St. Philip on 24 April 1862, she was taken under vigorous attack by the Union Mortar Flotilla. Anglo-Saxon caught fire and drifted downstream in a sinking condition. The Federals seized and repaired her for use as an army transport during the rest of the war.